Egypt: The Unfinished Obelisk (Aswan)
After taking the train from Cairo in the north of Egypt all the way to the south of Egypt, we arrived in Aswan, and one of our first stops was the unfinished obelisk.The area of Aswan is well known for its stone, and this is where the pharoahs got most of their granite to make their monuments. And one of the most important monuments that they made were objects called obelisks (kind of like the big structure on Indianapolis' Circle, I guess). At this site in Aswan, we saw the unfinished obelisk, which the Egyptians started to cut out of a mountain, but they had to stop when they found cracks in the stone. I forget how tall this one was, but it was huge. Good thing that they had to stop too, because I'm not sure how they would have gotten it out of that place and send it halfway up the country.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home